Saturday, September 22, 2012

Insulated Lunch Purse, with a laminated lining

I have been wanting to make one of these for some time now.  I decided that I'd have to make the pattern myself since I couldn't find any that were exactly what I wanted...one "small" dilemma, I haven't been sewing bags all that long AND I've never created my own pattern for anything other than quilts!  Oh yea, I should also add I don't think I've ever sewn a zipper, or used "do it yourself laminate".  This was going to be an adventure!  At one point Hubby had to order me to bed because I was tired and trying to finish "one more thing" and frustration was coming fast and furious!  It was NOT as painful as I had thought it might be, there were a few "lessons learned", but in the end, I LOVE my Lunch Purse!  I didn't have much fun with the "iron on laminate" stuff, I thought it would be smarter than buying laminated fabric since it really only has one use (for now) and it seems so limiting since not every fabric comes in a laminate, but after playing with the stuff, I think I'll just learn to live with finding and buying the pre-laminated stuff.  If any of yall have any tricks or tips for using the iron on stuff, I'd LOVE to hear them!  Well here's the inside (laminated) part...
The laminate seemed to want to seperate from the fabric when I manipulated the inside.  I do like that the bag is deep enough to hold a water bottle :)
I love the zipper all the way across.  I also did NOT want the zipper at the top, top of the bag so it sits about an inch or so down.  I used some InsulBright in the bag as well to keep lunches warm/cool.  For the finishing touches I grabbed a handful of ribbons from Ribbon Carousel made some bows and voila!  Pretty!!  Since I'm a SAHM with older kids I really don't have a need for one of these, so this one is for a friend... I hope she likes it.  I have added this as a "Custom Order" item in my Etsy store, but will be adding some more pre-made bags soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment